Home > Trademark FAQ > What is a domain name?
What is a domain name?
A domain name is known technically as a “uniform resource locator” or “URL.” The domain name locates and identifies a particular web page on the Internet.
Every domain name has a suffix that indicates which top level domain (TLD) it belongs to. There are currently only a limited number of such domains. For example:
- com - commercial business
- org - Organizations (nonprofit)
- gov - Government agencies
- edu - Educational institutions
- mil - Military
- net - Network organizations
- ca - Canada
- th - Thailand