tm logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is responsible for applying for an EIN in an organization and what information is required?

In an organization, the responsibility of applying for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) falls on an authorized officer or member. An incorporator or agent can also apply for the EIN on behalf of the organization. The EIN, also known as the Federal Tax Identification Number or Federal Employer Identification Number, is issued by the IRS and is used for all legal activities of the organization, including hiring employees, opening bank accounts, filing tax forms, and applying for business licenses. The person applying for the EIN must provide certain information during the application process. This includes the legal name of the organization, the mailing address, and the physical address of the organization. The application can be done through various methods such as mail, phone, fax, or online. The online method is the easiest and most preferred. When applying, the person in charge must use their personal Social Security number, but it won't be needed once the EIN is established. It's important to note that some states require that you file for an EIN before applying for tax-exempt status from the IRS.
Ask us a question

Post us your question and we will get back to you

Need a quick help?

Schedule a call with our attorneys to resolve your queries