tm logo

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I already have an EIN from a former taxation identity?

If you already have an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from a previous taxation identity, it's crucial to take the necessary steps to close that Tax ID number. This situation often arises when you have a connection with a Sole Proprietorship. After receiving state approval for your Limited Liability Company (LLC), you should obtain a new EIN, which will be entirely different for your LLC. The EIN is a nine-digit number, similar to a person's Social Security Number, and is written starting with two numbers, followed by a hyphen, and then the remaining seven digits. For example, the EIN format is 12-3456789. Remember, you don't need to have employees to be assigned an EIN. However, if you have hired employees, obtaining a Tax ID is mandatory. If you lose your Federal Tax ID Certificate, you can contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to request a replacement. The IRS will send the verification letter to the contact information you provided when you initially filed the application. If your contact information has changed, you should file Form 8822 to update the IRS.
Ask us a question

Post us your question and we will get back to you

Need a quick help?

Schedule a call with our attorneys to resolve your queries