tm logo

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the process to update the IRS about a change in my mailing address or fax number?

If you need to update the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) about a change in your mailing address or fax number, you should file Form 8822. This form allows the IRS to update your contact information and ensure that any necessary correspondence reaches the correct destination. This is particularly important if you need a replacement for a lost or never-received Employer Identification Number (EIN) confirmation letter. To request a replacement EIN confirmation letter, you can call the Business & Specialty Tax Line at (800) 829-4933, available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time. Alternatively, you can contact the IRS directly at (267) 941-1099 and ask for a 147C letter. When contacting the IRS, you will need to verify your identity by answering security questions such as your name and position with the company, your EIN, the type of income tax form you file for the business, and the name and address of the LLC. Once your identity is verified, the IRS representative will send the confirmation letter replacement to the updated address or fax number you provided on Form 8822.
Ask us a question

Post us your question and we will get back to you

Need a quick help?

Schedule a call with our attorneys to resolve your queries