tm logo

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the process for single-member LLCs to change their business name with the IRS?

Changing the business name of a single-member LLC with the IRS involves a few steps. Firstly, you need to amend the formation document of your business and file it with the state where your business is registered. This will update the records of the secretary of state or other state agency responsible for regulating corporate affairs. However, your business name linked to your Employer Identification Number (EIN) would still remain the same in the IRS records. To update your business name with the IRS, you need to use your new name while filing your annual tax return and check the box in the form to indicate that the business name has changed. If you need to change your business name immediately after receiving your EIN and before filing any tax return, you should forward your request to the Cincinnati, Ohio, office of the IRS. For single-member LLCs, if you've already filed your tax return for the current year, you don't have to wait until next year to update your business name in the IRS records. You need to file a Certificate of Amendment with the state where your business was originally formed and submit a copy of this document along with a name-change letter to the IRS.
Ask us a question

Post us your question and we will get back to you

Need a quick help?

Schedule a call with our attorneys to resolve your queries