tm logo

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements for obtaining business licenses and permits in Montana?

Starting a business in Montana involves several steps, one of which is obtaining the necessary business licenses and permits. While the State of Montana does not require a general business license, specific industries and professions may require state registration. These include professional and occupational businesses such as massage therapists, landscape architects, cosmetologists, and barbers. Other industries that may require licensing include daycare centers, salvage yards, and food establishments. The Montana Department of Labor and Industry provides detailed information regarding the requirements and fees associated with these professions and industries. In addition to industry-specific licenses and permits, businesses may also need to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN). This nine-digit identification number is used by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax purposes. Partnerships, LLCs, corporations, or sole proprietorships that hire employees will need to file for an EIN. However, LLCs and sole proprietorships without employees will not need to file for an EIN; in these cases, the owner's social security number will be used instead.
Ask us a question

Post us your question and we will get back to you

Need a quick help?

Schedule a call with our attorneys to resolve your queries