tm logo

Frequently Asked Questions

How to register a business name in Montana?

Registering a business name in Montana is a crucial step in starting a business in the state. This process is overseen by the Montana Secretary of State. If you're forming an LLC or a corporation, you'll need to choose a unique name at the time of filing. To check if a name is already in use, you can visit the Montana Secretary of State's website. Once you've chosen a unique name, you can proceed with the registration process. This involves submitting the necessary paperwork and paying any associated fees. It's important to note that sole proprietorships and partnerships may not need to register their business names unless they plan to operate under a name different from the owner's legal name. After registering your business name, you'll need to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This nine-digit number is used for tax purposes and is required for businesses that have employees. If you're a sole proprietor or an LLC without employees, you may not need an EIN and can use your social security number instead.
Ask us a question

Post us your question and we will get back to you

Need a quick help?

Schedule a call with our attorneys to resolve your queries