tm logo

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does the IRS typically take to process a name-change letter?

When you change your business name, it's crucial to update your records with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The process of updating your business name with the IRS involves filing your annual tax return using your new business name and checking the appropriate box to indicate the name change. If you've already filed your tax return for the current year, you can still update your business name by filing a Certificate of Amendment with the state where your business was originally formed and submitting a copy of this document along with a name-change letter to the IRS. The name-change letter should include your Employer Identification Number (EIN), the old and new names of your business, the complete business address as per IRS records, and the date from which the name change has been effective. The letter must be signed by the owner or an authorized officer of the business and should request a confirmation from the IRS regarding the updating of the new name in its records.

Ask us a question

Post us your question and we will get back to you

Need a quick help?

Schedule a call with our attorneys to resolve your queries