tm logo

Frequently Asked Questions

How can you update your business name with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

Updating your business name with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is a crucial step when you decide to change your company's name. The process involves several steps, starting with amending the formation document of your business and filing it with the state where your business is registered. This updates the records of the secretary of state or other state agency responsible for regulating corporate affairs. However, this does not automatically update your business name linked to your Employer Identification Number (EIN) in the IRS records. To update your business name in the IRS records, you can use your new name while filing your annual tax return with the IRS and check the box in the form to indicate that the name of your business has changed. If you need to change your business name immediately after receiving your EIN and before filing any tax return, you should forward your request to the Cincinnati, Ohio, office of the IRS. For C-corporations, S-corporations, and multi-member LLCs that have filed at least one tax return, the IRS can be notified of the name change by simply checking the name change box while filing your tax return for the current year. However, this option is not available to single-member LLCs.
Ask us a question

Post us your question and we will get back to you

Need a quick help?

Schedule a call with our attorneys to resolve your queries